Saturday, February 21, 2009

TiMeOFF



Timeoff...this is the best part for an offshore worker. Its the going home part. This may sound like a normal daily-routine to most of you land-lubbers but to us, after being surrounded by the sea for 6 weeks or more, the well deserved rest we call as TiMeOff, is something we really look forward to.

The deal I have for me is that I have to stay on-board and work for 42 days (6 weeks) and get a time off for 21 days (3 weeks). That's the deal I have with the company I am working for. It's a pretty darn good deal too. In total, I have 102 days for time off in a year..unlike you land-lubbers, you probably have 21 days of official leaves in one (1) year..right? Well, I am REQUIRED to take leaves for 21 days every time I have completed my 42 days. And yes, I still get paid when I go home for leaves (time offs). All this is because some clever cunt thinks that if someone stays at sea for more than 60 days, it can effect the person's psychological state. On certain oil field areas offshore, like Brunei as one example, you are required to sign a form to declare that it is at your own will that you had decided to stay longer than 60 days at sea. To mE..this is my time off.

What do I feel about...it is exhilarating. I know I am gonna be fucked up with a lot off booze and a lot of waking up to do. Like really late in the morning to catch up with another day of boozing cum family gatherings and social interactions. Its when I am going to do the normal things I did when I am a land-lubber :)


Hehehe..I am just wondering what I'll be writting for the next farkin' 3 weeks. In fact, I have nothing much to vent while I am on time off, no frustrations and anger...I just want it to be peaceful and to put the cherry on top, drunk... need I more? I do have a good family and a good wife, other than that its nothing much to worry about when I get home...its just rilexsssssss...now. In my mind right now is, hmmm..42 days at sea and then 21 days for time off. Fuck me, I am enjoying it and sticking to this deal for a certain amount of favorable time-lAh!

So take it from me, time offs are something we really look forward to when you are an offshore worker. To me, basically its farkin' Linkin Park, Paramore and Cyprussssss Hills...

The going home part can be a real pain sometimes though. In my case, 21 days starts counting down from the day my foot left the barge to go to back to shore on a crew boat. Sometimes I find myself lucky when it only takes 4 hours back to shore via a crew boat. - I'll be home on the same day. The worst case scenario came to me once when it took 16 hours from the location of the barge to shore. Ouch! I loose 1 day because of that. In this scenario, it is called Travel Time taken for a subject to leave the barge and reach home. Airport scenarios come after that. So its taxi to hotel first, stay a night, taxi to airport and fly home the next day. By now the count is about 3 days. The further an offshore worker goes from homeland, the further distance he have to recover to go back home. For me, I suppose I can say that my 21 days of time offs is more expensive than GoLd. Well, such are our worries..but usually though, the painstaking homeward bound journey isn't that bad. So far, I have been home on the same day I left the barge. These operations are taken care of by some of the best Logistics personnel working as a branch to the main office at the country where the barge might be working.

Its a de-centralised unit from the mother company to take care of their personnel 's movements working over a foreign land. Who else will know about their country's rules and regulations other than the people already living there? From airflight, land transportation , hotel and crew boat arrangements, these guys know how to deal with it. Sounds familiar? Kinda like a tourist agency eh? Well, its kinda work like that..also, they do know customs and immigration laws that is being regulated in that country. Custom clearance is a bitch if you are to do this on your own..trust me. We leave this task to the Agents on the shore.

So no worries...you are after all heading home. Time to rilexs..Peace..

3 comments:

  1. time off..now I know what tat word means...

    finally the dog has set his foot on land and is making his pilgrimage to the alcohol
    fountains.....

    Ciaklat!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an intresting blog that you have posted, you shares a lot of things about ROV Insurance, All Risk Insurance and Liability Insurance UK. Which are very informative for us.Thanks

    ReplyDelete